The ultimate aim of veneers is to achieve a beautiful, natural looking smile.
What are veneers?
Dental veneers are a thin layer of material that is bonded to the front teeth.
They are used to:
- Mask darkened or discoloured teeth by making them whiter
- Change the shape or size of teeth
- Replace a broken front tooth
For a better visual image of what a veneer is, they can be compared to false fingernails. Veneers can be made from white filling material (composite) or porcelain.
Composite veneers would be the best treatment option when:
- They can be hand built and placed directly on the teeth
- They can be prefabricated such as in the Componeer system made by Coltene Whaledent. (read more)
- They can be completed in one visit
- They are comparatively cheap to place
The disadvantage of direct composite veneers is that they are not as strong as porcelain veneers and require polishing to maintain their shine and lustre.
Porcelain Veneers have a few advantages over composites:
- stronger than composite veneers
- preferred for patients with stronger bites or grinding
- more stain resistant
- custom made, more personalised and natural looking
- can be used to fix chipped and broken front teeth
- can mask discoloured, crooked teeth or close gaps
The disadvantage of porcelain veneers is that they take a few visits to the dentist and technician and cost more than composite veneers.
Like onlays, crowns and bridges, all our porcelain veneers are fabricated by exceptional, local technicians. It is important you are happy with the final look so we arrange for you to spend time talking with our technician and ceramist about your requirements. They will then both work with you to get the best possible outcome.