Taking care of your teeth isn’t a sprint – it’s a long distance goal. That means creating the right daily habits and getting help when something may not be quite right. Here are the five most important dental health tips to keep your teeth healthy and happy:
- Brush your teeth: This one may seem obvious, but do you brush at the right times? Definitely brush before you go to bed to make sure that you get rid of the plaque and other germs that have built up over the course of the day. Brush twice a day.
- Do it right: Howyou brush your teeth is as important as when you brush. Move the brush in a circular motion, not just over your teeth, but over your gums as well. And be gentle – too much pressure can affect your gums. At Castle Dental we like to say Circles strokes and flicks. Circles on the outside. Strokes on the biting surfaces and flicks in behind.
- Use fluoridated toothpaste: Of course you want your teeth to look pearly white, but the color of your teeth doesn’t necessarily indicate dental health. Ignore whitening toothpaste products for ones that contain fluoride as it helps prevent tooth decay.
- Floss your teeth: This action may feel like bonus dental care, but did you realise that flossing is almost as important as brushing? Sure, it helps dislodge bits of food stuck between your teeth, but it does a lot more. It reduces the occurrence of plaque (and thus tooth decay), and helps lower the possibility of inflammation. Aim for flossing once a day.
- See your dentist: Even if you follow the healthy habits above, bad things can still happen to your teeth – and without your realising it. You could have naturally genetically weaker gums, you may consume too many sugary or acidic foods, or maybe previous bad dental habits caught up with you. Your dentist can catch small issues before they become larger ones and can recommend dental products to help you achieve better and easier oral care. Schedule an appointment every six months.
Having healthy teeth and gums doesn’t have to take a lot of effort, but it does require small yet mindful actions. Follow the five important dental health tips above and enjoy a healthy smile for years to come.